Tuesday, 25 February 2014

Apple Detox...kind of... Day 2

Hello World!

So I started my Pagano Journey yesterday. I didn't quite play by the set out rules but I think I did pretty well for someone who didn't really prepare. I started out Monday morning with no apples! I totally forgot about picking some up. But my aunt did pick up a giant bag of massive pears from Costco for me so I figured that Pagano had mentioned an 'all fruit' detox in the book so why I couldn't I do the first day as straight pears? Well I didn't even do that right. Heh.

Monday Diet 
Smoothie - 1 Giant Pear, Two Handfuls of Spinach, 1 cup of Apple Juice
3 Giant Pears
1 Big Salad - Spinach, Snow Peas, Goat Cheese and Grilled Chicken Breast

So as you can see I didn't make it to the first meal before I failed! Well I'd like to say, 'modified'. The way I see it is up until 6 I was eating all good clean plants. And by dinner I really did not want another pear so I made a healthy dinner. I suppose I could have left out the chicken, but it was just soooo good. Seriously, goat cheese on a salad, try it.


Tuesday Diet
1 Tbsp of Olive Oil

2 Red Delicious Apples
2 Golden Delicious Apples
Salad - Spinach, Grilled Chicken Breast and Goat Cheese

All was going pretty well until about 2pm today when I suddenly felt like I got hit by a mack truck carrying the flu. I managed to walk the 45 minutes home, pop into the store on the way for birthday essentials for my boyfriend and brother and get home. I then proceeded to tell myself it was 'just a headache' and ignore it at first because I didn't want to get my butt kicked by a headache and I had things to do... I put a load of laundry in and went about making my salad.

Halfway through my salad I started to feel nauseous. So I told myself after eating I'd go sleep and deal with things in the morning. It ended in my not being able to finish my salad because I felt so sick. My eyes hurt, I felt nauseous and dizzy and weak and my abdomen was cramping fiercely... it was the worst I had ever felt. 

So I went about the preparations for bed. Turns out the cramping was because my body was warning me that a bathroom break courtesy of the olive oil was necessary. No joke, if you can't poop have a tablespoon of olive oil. It might take all day, but then its like its going down a water slide. Lubes it right up!

Then I laid down and closed my eyes. A voice in my head was panicking because I'm home alone for a week, another was saying it could be that I've finally managed to catch the flu after evading it for years and the last said, 'maybe this is a side effect of detoxing'. So I googled, eager to give myself some peace before possibly falling into a coma. I felt that bad.

Turns out its a condition that's pretty common called the Herxheimer Reaction.

Basically the body releases all of the toxins its been carrying around and your body can't handle the overload so you start to feel the symptoms of whatever illnesses your body stored up for you.
"The most common symptoms reported in a Herxheimer reaction are increased fatigue, joint or muscle pain, skin rashes, photosensitivity, irritability, dizziness, sleep disturbances, asthenia, muscle cramps, night sweats, hypertension, hypotension, headaches (especially migraines) and swollen glands. Also reported are heavy perspiration, metallic taste in mouth, chills, nausea, bloating, constipation or diarrhea, low grade fever, heart palpitations, tachycardia, facial palsy, tinnitus, mental confusion, uncoordinated movement, bone pain, flu-like syndrome, conjunctivitis and throat swelling."
So having a name for it makes it easier. I still feel off kilter, but not nearly as bad. Sleep, its a miracle worker. Now to try to relax and go back to sleep.

Then tomorrow is my high colonic or colon irrigation appointment so we'll see how that goes...

Quote and Information about the Herxeimer Reaction found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your own experiences to share? I would love to hear them!
Think I have got a fact mixed up? Correct me! I am trying to find out the truth.